Tuesday, November 4, 2008

When you go to vote, would you, could you on a boat?

As I was getting the kids ready to go to our polling place this morning, Sam asked where we needed to go to vote. I explained to him that there's a church across the street from his school that is the place that our neighborhood goes to vote. The boys both asked a few questions, and then figured out which place I was talking about.

On the way there, Paul suddenly said "There's no water."
I said "Where? What do you mean?"
He said "There's no water at that place we're voting."
I said "Well, they probably have a water fountain inside if you get thirsty."
He said, "NO! I mean for the BOAT!"
I said "Oh, honey, we're going to vote, not go on a boat."
He said "I know, but we're going to vote on a boat!"
So I had to explain to him that while boat and vote do rhyme, you don't actually get to go on a boat to vote. A little disappointing, because that would've been fun.

Voting went amazingly well, though, considering we had to wait in line for an hour and there were no boats. Thank goodness for portable video games!

After telling this story to a friend later, she sent me this little voting story a la Dr. Seuss:
Would you vote for John McCain?
I would not, could not, in the rain.
Not on a boat nor on a train
I would not like him here or there
I do not like him anywhere
I will not vote for that old man
I do not like him Sam I am!




No comments:

Clark and I

Clark and I